#ContactForm1{display: none !important;}

Monday, October 20, 2014

Women Entrepreneurs Interview with Sarah Mcaffry



Good Morning everyone! Today I am thrilled to bring you another interview with an incredibly talented friend of mine who has an enormous heart for God!  I am completely inspired by her story and know you will leave feeling the same way.  I'm constantly amazed by how our Heavenly Father leads and guides us when we surrender all and let him direct our lives! So without further ado, I would like to introduce photographer Sarah Mcaffry!


1. Has photography always been a part of your life?

I fell in love with photography in my early twenties. I was given a camera for Christmas and haven't been able to put it down for the past decade! Something inside of me feels a little more alive when I'm taking pictures. It's such a thrill to visualize something and make it come to life. 



2. How did you feel called to start your own business? Was it a process or immediate happening?

Starting this business was very much a God thing. I was a high school English teacher for six years and did photography on the side. One summer, God made it very clear that I was not to go back to teaching in the fall. It was a touch decision because I truly loved my job and felt like it was my calling. I learned quickly that God can give us a calling for a short time period and then move us on to another! My husband was so supportive, so I set up a meeting with my principal to resign. I met with him at 9am one morning and just three hours later, a photographer friend of mine called to tell me she was moving to Haiti and needed someone to rent her studio. I was shocked at how perfectly God orchestrated everything for me to be able to walk right through that open door. It hasn't always been easy, but God has blessed me every step of the way. 


3. Where do you gather inspiration and can you explain a little about your creative process?

Every couple of months I go to the bookstore and stock up on magazine. I don't just flip the pages. I study them. It helps me stay on top of current trends and gives me tons of posing inspiration. I also meet with my clients before their shoot to plan every detail like location and what to wear. Then I have days or weeks to visualize and get inspired for their shoot. Taking a few minutes before each photo shoot to be quiet, to reflect on who my client is and what they want out of the shoot helps me to be in a creative space while I'm working. I've had to practically give up Pinterest altogether because I found it was hindering my creative process by just making me want to do what everyone else was doing. Keeping myself separate from that world helps me to cultivate my own style and creative process.


4. If you had one piece of advice to share with women entrepreneurs, what would it be?

Connect with other women entrepreneurs! Even if it's in your same industry, in your own town, we are all in this together. I live in a place where there are so many groups of photographers who meet together, who pray together and who send each other referrals. Technically, I guess we are competition but by joining together, we actually raise their standard of the industry and can support each other's businesses. It always helps to have someone to vent to as well. Someone who has been there and who understands everything you're going through. Running a successful business is a serious task and I guess it can be done alone, but it's so much better when you have a team of supportive people behind you! 


Instagram @sarahmcaffry

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us Sarah! If your looking for a photographer in the Knoxville, TN area, definitely check out Sarah's website!

No comments:

Post a Comment